What to Pack for a European River Cruise
River cruises are much more casual with more excursions than the usual ocean cruises so you can pack a lot less, and differently. Here’s some tips but not by any means an exclusive list- we’ll cover some general tips in a later blog.
1. If it is in the shoulder season, think layers rather than bulky jackets and coats. That way each sweater or top can do double duty. Do bring a hat and gloves.
2. Ladies, pack one or two dressier tops and pair of slacks or skirt. Leave your cocktail dresses and gowns at home. Gentlemen, you get the idea. No tuxes please or ties required unless you want to pack one as it takes little space. Exception: if you are opting for an excursion to the opera, then a dressy outfit may be required.
3. Leave your short shorts and skimpy tops at home too because this type of dress is frowned upon in many places, and especially if you are going to visit historic cathedrals and museums.
4. Pack comfortable walking shoes, flat soled. Most old sections of the cities – and that’s where you will visit most often – have cobblestones.
5. If you like to bike, pack comfortable riding gear and shoes.
6. Rain jacket …!
7. Most times there will be an electricity converter available at the desk which you can sign out but just in case, make sure you take one with you to power your tablet, computer and other devices.
8. Libraries aren’t that huge on these ships – it could be one bookcase – so if you are an avid reader, pick up a bestseller en route that you can read on board. That is, if you have time!
9. Take some device that takes photos. You won’t believe the beautiful scenery that passes by every minute you sail, and the unusual and exotic that hides around every corner on land.
10. Take a collapsed empty bag (or two) to carry back your treasures – crafts, watches, jewellery, clothes, trinkets and toys for the kids or grandkids. ( But don’t forget you pay luggage fees…) so
11. Carry a credit card – you may not need it on board as these cruises are fairly inclusive but it’s difficult to resist shopping in Europe!
Cruise Holidays of Flemington are specialists in luxury and river cruises. Check out their line up of different river cruises here.
This post was written by Debra MacIntyre of compassmedia.us, avid cruiser, for Pack Your Bags, the blog of Cruise Holidays of Flemington.